December 12, 2011

What, me worry?

One of my favorite guilty pleasures as a child was probably MAD magazine. The magazine probably was a little too old for me, and I'm not entirely sure my parents knew I read it, but I laughed at the goofy artwork and the dark humor of strips like Spy vs. Spy. I also remember the weird looking kid that always appeared in the magazine, usually on the cover - Alfred E. Neuman and his signature phrase, "What, me worry?"

Yes.

I worry. I worry a lot. Probably more than is healthy. And this pending deployment and all that it involves has pegged my worry meter. I worry about everything from the cross-country trip we're about to make to move my wife and kids back East for the year to finances to the stresses that work has placed on me.

It's funny how God intercedes though. He doesn't just *poof* make all the worry go away, but He certainly has a way of reminding me who's really boss. The title of yesterday's sermon - truly at a moment I felt completely overwhelmed - was "Time to Let Go of Worry." (You'll be able to listen to it here once it's posted.)

Pastor Chico delivered this sermon at just the right time, and it was exactly what I needed to here.

"Do not worry about anything, but pray and ask God for everything you need, always giving thanks." - Philippians 4:6

Easier said than done, especially for a pathological worrier like me. By worrying I am essentially telling God I don't trust His promises. Ouch. For little ol' me to tell the Creator I don't trust him is pretty bold.


Pastor Chico then laid out the reasons why we shouldn't worry:
- It's unnatural (We don't worry about the right things anyway)
- It's unhelpful (Nothing happens when you worry)
- It's unnecessary (God has already promised to supply all our needs)
- It's unchristian (According to one commentator the pastor quoted, "Worry is practical atheism")

Instead, our pastor suggested we put God first before all else (Matt. 6:33), don't live in the past or future (Matt. 6:34), and take all worries to God (Matt. 6:30).

I have precious few days left with my family before I depart. I could fill them with worry and stress and a sour attitude about everything that's going on. That would be unfortunate - I'd be ruining time that I could be making wonderful memories with my wife and children.

Thank you God for that message at church yesterday.

My worries are Yours.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting about this. I think I needed to be reminded not to worry too. We are praying for you every day and are here for support whenever you may need us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of your Mother's and my favorite magazines growing up.

    ReplyDelete