November 2, 2011

Fueling the Disney obsession

We indulged our daughter's obsession yesterday.

First off, I didn't know people under two could even have obsessions. But, since before she could walk, Grace has been captivated by The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on TV. I think it started as an innocent way for The Wife to get both hands free for two seconds to get dressed or to do some other necessary chore. That has turned to endless pleas for "Mickey, Mickey ... Miiiiccckkkeeey."

Like me with my morning coffee, my daughter has to watch Mickey Mouse. I'd love to tell you we were better parents and don't let our child watch TV so the coffee we do get to enjoy is hot. I'd love to tell you we are more creative than that. I'd love to tell you Grace's obsession hasn't gone too far.

But I don't like lying.

And yet, we went to Disneyland yesterday. The West Coast mecca of Mickey.

I love going to Disney parks. But this was my favorite trip, by far. To watch a child, even as young as Grace, wide-eyed, taking in the sites and sounds of the "happiest place on Earth" was special. I loved the fact we could let her run around Mickey's house and other areas and get into anything she wanted. I loved her interactions with the other toddlers. And I especially loved watching the moment she got to meet the animated character she's seen on TV for months.


Yes, we didn't do Grace any favors yesterday by taking her to Disneyland. I'm sure we've fueled her obsession until she's 90, but we sure had a lot of fun.


Editor's note: Yes, we do have a son too. Yes, he was there yesterday. He slept the whole time.

1 comment:

  1. Brian! I'm so happy you're blogging - makes me feel like I know your kids a little better!

    What a cute post - I'm sure Grace had an awesome day yesterday. Although it's hard to say whether you and the Wife had more fun than she did! :-)

    ReplyDelete