November 8, 2011

Sleepless in Southern California

My wife and I are blessed, and we know it. We have two absolutely wonderful children that bring so much joy into our lives. They don't get sick too often, they don't cry too much, and they don't embarrass us in public. Yes, we have it pretty good. Until about 9:30 at night.

It's a recent phenomenon, but our four-month-old son will not sleep. He'll fall asleep on my wife, she'll put him in his crib, and 20 minutes later he's crying. She'll go back in to his room, rock him back to sleep, put him in his crib, and 20 minutes later he's crying. Repeat. All. Night. Long.

Occasionally, usually around 3 a.m., it's my turn to try, but I've had worse luck. He'll just cry on me. Apparently I'm not as comfortable as my wife. I also don't come bearing food, which may have a lot to do with it.

This is the point in this post were I need to thank my wife and shower her with diamonds, Oreo cookies, and pedicures. As you can see, she has taken most (99%) of this burden on herself. I have not asked her to, but she's the one that gets up with our son. Part of it may be because I could sleep through a freight train barreling through our house (side effect of sleeping next to a very active military flight line while deployed) and I just don't hear him. But the reason is more likely because my wife is a saint. She wants me to be able to go to work refreshed.

This sacrifice on her part wasn't too bad when Timothy would sleep for long stretches (we were close to all night a couple of times), but now it's taking a toll. Getting two hours of sleep a night is not good for anyone. We may have to go to bottles at night or something because I want my wife to be able to get the sleep she needs. I really feel bad, and I want to take on some of this burden.

I'll wrap this post up with a few theories as to why he doesn't sleep any more:
  • A growth spurt
  • He's afraid of the dark
  • He wants to stay up for Letterman
  • His stinky feet keep him awake (more on this in a future post)
  • Separation anxiety
  • Poor nursery feng shui is throwing him off
  • Bad gas
  • He's four months old
I'm open to any theories you all have. You can leave them in the comments below. And if you could say a prayer for my saint of a wife, I would appreciate that even more.

4 comments:

  1. You may never know what it is that is keeping him up at night, but I believe that this is a phase, and it too shall pass. Consistency is the key. What you can do to ease HER burden, is relieve all the others. With little sleep, the idea of having to clean up around the house is aggravating. Help her with that, and you'll be helping her tremendously. You are both amazing parents, and together even more amazing. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet! Thank you for your understanding and love. It's because I know you are there as back-up anytime I need you and I know you are praying for me all the time, that I can function on 2 hours of sleep a night. You are my rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm feeling your pain! I will say a prayer Becky gets some sleep soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alissa, he is already doing most of the house work. That's just the kind of guy he is... Amazing!

    ReplyDelete