January 5, 2012

The power of technology

I've often wondered how families separated kept in touch before the days of high-speed Internet connections. I mean, I know they had letters and phone calls, but video calls are amazing. They shorten the distance between people.

This morning, at 6, I enjoyed a cup of coffee my daughter "poured" for me. She was asking my wife for me this morning, so we were able to get on Skype and chat for a few minutes before my quiet time and having to get ready for work. Part of that chat was a virtual tea party.

There's Internet where I'm going, so we'll be able to have more of these parties as the year goes on. But, I wonder, will being able to see my family but not being able to touch them make the separation harder? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Being on the home-side of two deployments myself, there was a bit of relief and happiness when we were able to talk and see each other. Our first deployment, we didn't have webcams or Skype. Video communication during the second deployment definitely made it a little more bearable. Just try not to get too frustrated when there are internet connection issues. If you are any type of a worrier, like my husband, being able to see and hear your wife and children will make a huge difference, especially when you are 7000 miles away from one another. It will definitely be good for them too to be able to see and hear you! Just some of my thoughts...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete